We’re the beach experts, and that means knowing our stuff. And that means…actually staying at the hotels we sell. That’s right – all in the name of research, of course. To say this hotel took our breath away is an understatement. How does sipping on a traditional Cretan mocktail while overlooking the massive Maldivian-esque pool complex sound? Well, that’s exactly how a holiday at Stella Island starts, as we found out. From rooms that screamed luxury to the friendliest staff who wouldn’t let us lift a finger (literally – don’t even think about pouring your own drink at dinner!), this hotel knows exactly how to make you feel like royalty.
- Adults-only luxury (sorry kids)
- It’s so huge there are golf buggies to help you get from A to B!
- A modern Greek hotel with a Maldivian feel
- So Instagrammable even your dad could do it – we said what we said
- Room service until 1am
- Entertainment seven nights a week
## Adults Only (15+) ##
- A short walk from the beach
- 1 minute away from Stella Waterland
- 20 minutes away from Heraklion Airport
- 2.5 hours away from Chania International Airport
- Pool View Rooms – hello, huge balcony alert! These rooms come with all the luxurious bells and whistles along with the best views of the pool complex
- Swim-Up Rooms – there’s no need to set your alarm to bag a sunbed by the pool – with these rooms it’s right on your doorstep! Why walk back to your room when you could swim?
- Overwater Bungalows – how does it feel to stay in Stella Island’s most Instagrammable room? These feature a poolside deck (perfect for socialising!), and a hammock that everyone wants a photo in.
- Island Villas with Private Pool – we stayed in this room type and can confirm, they’re next level. Picture a huge feature bed, a Jacuzzi bath and a private pool you can actually swim in – not just dip your toes in!
- Pocket-sized travel journal in all rooms, with good-to-know Greek phrases, best beaches in the area and blank pages to fill in during your stay!
- Fully-stocked mini fridge with Fanta Lemon. Yep, we’re all about the important stuff.
- Fluffy pool towels
- Flat-screen TV with a range of channels, from Sky News to MTV
- Private toilet and shower cubicles with an open-plan sink area in the main bedroom – complete with a huge mirror!
- Bathrobes and slippers so you can get cosy
- Hairdryer – no need to stuff one into your suitcase!
- Safety deposit box
- Tea and coffee facilities, so you can start your day with a brew on the balcony
Did you know?
Stella Island has its own signature scent. We noticed during our stay that all of the rooms smell AMAZING, and it turns out the hotel has its own signature-scented cleaning products. In fact, they smell so good that guests often ask if they’re available to buy! We’re crossing our fingers. Who doesn’t want their home to smell like a hotel?!
Food & Drink
- All Inclusive everything – yep, you read that right. Everything at this hotel really is included, with six restaurants to choose from, an extensive room service menu and a fully-stocked minibar. In fact, the all inclusive concept is SO GOOD here, that it’s not unheard of for half-board and full-board guests to ask to switch once they arrive! That’s one serious case of FOMO.
- Kimata Greek buffet restaurant – Mediterranean cuisine served fresh at breakfast, lunch and dinner, with a few ‘Stella’ touches, like fruit-infused water at breakfast and show-cooking stations.
- Oceania seafood terrace restaurant – prepare to be blown away by stunning views, and there’s even a retractable roof! If you fancy a romantic meal under the stars, there’s nowhere better.
- Umami Asian restaurant – stop by this restaurant for a night of authentic Asian food paired with high-quality cocktails.
- La Parilla grill restaurant – this might be a grill restaurant, but we stopped by here for dinner and there was something for everyone – from cooked-to-order steak to mushroom risotto and chargrilled chicken. This is also a quieter option for breakfast, with ALL the staples, from the much-loved toast machine to baked beans and even chips! Plus, if you head downstairs in this block you’ll find courtesy rooms with showers if you’re already checked out but need to freshen up. They really do think of everything.
- Vegera Cretan restaurant – when in Crete, right? If you want a taste of traditional Aegean cuisine, then the menu at this restaurant won’t disappoint. It’s even set in a peaceful location surrounded by olive trees to really set the scene.
- Makuti poolside bar – you can step straight from the water to this bar, whether you’re craving a post-swim cocktail or a bite to eat. Top tip: if you oversleep and miss breakfast, you can enjoy brunch here from 11am – 5pm. There’s even Guinness! Winner.
- Cabana poolside lounge bar – a place to enjoy light snacks, refreshing drinks and chilled-out beats in lounge-style chairs by the pool. Need we say more?
- Utopia all day lounge – your favourite wines, spirits and cocktails served by the pool, in the perfect spot to catch the sunset in the evening.
- Umbra shaded poolside bar – premium spirits and classic cocktails served poolside, with a unique cross-hatched dome roof for shade.
(Psst: Look out for our favourite Tropical Island cocktails – made with rum, lime and sugar syrup.)
Sports & Entertainment
- Iconic lagoon-style pool complex with palm-tree covered ‘islands’ and surrounding daybeds for the perfect sunbathing spot.
- State-of-the-art gym equipment with classes included
- On-site spa with Elemis products and organic vegan products from the Spanish brand, Sepia. You can even take your pick from different ingredients to whip up your own day cream!
- Local bike rides are available if you fancy exploring more of the area (extra charges apply)
- Entertainment every night – there’s never a dull moment at Stella Island, with live performances, music and dance routines seven nights a week. Head to Paraiso for around 10:30pm to grab a cocktail and a table with a good view of the poolside stage.
- FREE Wi-Fi – we told you how Instagrammable this place is, and thanks to the on-site Wi-Fi, you don’t need to waste any time in sharing your snaps with the world. Go on, make ’em jealous.
## This summer ##
Who said waterparks are just for kids? This hotel is just 1 minute away from Stella Waterland – the enormous waterpark shared between the three Stella hotels. If you’re looking for fun, you’ve come to the right place. Expect:
- Swimming pools
- Aqua tubes and tunnel slides
- Transparent slide so you can admire the view on your way down!
- A slide with two different tubes so you can pick your own route
- 16-metre high tower
- Free fall slide
- Poolside bar serving drinks, light bites and ice cream